Q&A #306

Tessellations and symmetry - 4th grade

View entire discussion
[<<prev] [next>>]

From: Suzanne (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Mar 20, 1998 at 17:07:24
Subject: Re: Tessellations and symmetry - 4th grade

In teaching transformations with 4th graders I like to use cutout letters.
It would be great if each child had a cutout letter such as the letter "B" or
"R". They could trace the letter on the paper and then actually slide it
across the paper, rotate it around a point, or reflect it over a line of
symmetry and then retrace to see the relationship between the 2 tracings.
If you have access to a die cut machine, making construction paper letters is
very easy.

I also like to use mirrors in working with symmetry. Students at this age
think that the letter "N" has vertical symetry, but by placing the mirror on
the letter thay can quickly see that it does not. This would give them some
background and practice with transformations.

One way that I do tessellations with this age student is to give them access
to prepared sheets of triangles, hexagons, squares, etc. and let them color
them, cut them out, and create their own tessellation.

Using pattern blocks is also a fun way for them to get the idea of
tessellations. If you decide to have them create nonpolygonal tessellations,
an index card makes a good tracer. I often cut a 3x5 index card in half and
have them draw a curved line from the top corner of one side to the lower
corner of the same side, cut on the line, and then slide it to the opposite
side of the card, tape the cut piece back on and use it for the tracer
pattern.  They can trace the shape a number of times on a sheet of paper and
add whatever detail or color they like.

There are also some great tessellation programs available. I use TesselMania!
but I use it in junior high. Have fun mixing math and art.

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®