From: Mary Lou (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Mar 17, 1998 at 20:56:18
Subject: Re: Value of two-column proofs

When I speak to adults, they tell me that they learned how to think doing
two-column proofs. I think what they really mean is that it was in geometry
that they learned how to put together an argument to establish something.

There are all types of approaches to two-column proofs. Some teachers expect
the student to do the proof the same way that the teacher would do the proof.
It is rare that two people think exactly alike, especially when there is more
than one fact to be established. Some teachers expect the student to do the
proof in the most efficient way possible. Students do not always think of the
most efficient way the first time they approach a problem. Other teachers
believe that a two-column proof is the only way to prove something.

Now that I have told you what some teachers will tell you, I will tell you
that I think that two-column proofs are a good way for some students to
organize their work. However, when I am the teacher I teach students to do
proofs in a flow chart manner so that they can see what is a consequence of
knowing something. Once they establish two or more facts they can see the
consequence of their thinking. In this way they will see that different
"flows" can be rearranged but that the final consequence has to come at the
end.

This methodology establishes good thinking as well. Accompanying a flow chart
is a listing of reasons that for a two-column proof would be the righthand
column.

When doing proofs, work hard on them, do them every day, and collect the work
from the students. If their work is not correct, have them do it over again
until it is correct. Do not expect that the average student can do many of
them on a daily basis. Pick and choose. Once a student shows you that he or
she can do a proof, assign fewer but more difficult proofs. However, do not
spend more than four weeks doing them. By that time the students who will
learn from them will have learned, and the other students who have not
learned will probably need more work one-on-one with you, the teacher.

What material were you considering covering when you thought of cutting out
proofs?

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®