From: Tim Basaldua
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Mar 17, 2000 at 12:34:33
Subject: Math and English Composition

I am interested in finding teachers who integrate English Composition and Math
in classroom assignments or in exams.
I have been evaluating word problems from text books. I have found them
lacking in clarity. More important, my fellow students at the university I
attend, can read word problems but few can write or create a word problem in
clear English. Most fellow students (math majors) do not want the added burden
of writing in a math course. However, it appears to me that language and
Mathematics are inseparable. I have also noticed, by visiting various college
Math sites, that some Math departments are requiring students to write a 500
word composition. Only if the student writes a passable composition is the
student allowed to register for that class.
I would like to hear from those of you who have an opinion on this matter.

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/