Q&A #3394

Math and English Composition

View entire discussion

From: Tim Basaldua
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Mar 17, 2000 at 12:34:33
Subject: Math and English Composition

I am interested in finding teachers who integrate English Composition and Math in classroom assignments or in exams. I have been evaluating word problems from text books. I have found them lacking in clarity. More important, my fellow students at the university I attend, can read word problems but few can write or create a word problem in clear English. Most fellow students (math majors) do not want the added burden of writing in a math course. However, it appears to me that language and Mathematics are inseparable. I have also noticed, by visiting various college Math sites, that some Math departments are requiring students to write a 500 word composition. Only if the student writes a passable composition is the student allowed to register for that class. I would like to hear from those of you who have an opinion on this matter.

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®