From: Judy (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Jul 05, 1998 at 14:50:40
Subject: Re: General help for a child with Learning Disabilities

Judy,

I know how frustrating it must be for you and your son.  I really feel for
you.  Since you have computer access have you tried some of the many
software programs that focus on basic facts in a game format. Boys
especially seem to do well with this format as it seems more like playing
"Nintendo" than practicing math facts.

Math Blaster has many different levels and has an appealing format for
teens.  There are many others available as well.  Using the game format may
take the pressure off as the fun of the game takes over.

Another trick I used with my son was to make cookies (plain sugar cookies or
peanut butter) and decorate the top with mini-M&Ms or mini-chips doing the
decorating in patterns.  Let him see that 4 rows of 5 chips equals 20 chips
just as 5 rows of 4 chips does on the next cookie.  Make several cookies
with the partnered facts on them.  Bake them and let them cool.  Let him
read the "fact" on the cookies.  If he can find the partners, he gets the
cookies as a treat.  I used the Slice and Bake cookies so I only did a few
at a time so not as to overwhelm the mind or the stomach.  Good luck

 -Judy, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®