From: Judy (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Apr 06, 2000 at 21:09:53
Subject: Re: Math Frustration, Puberty

I remember when my son was there. Oh the nightmares! I tried to help with math and it was soon the battle zone. You are right about tutors but sometimes the price is worth it. You may want to talk to the teacher and get a list of the most critical areas of need your child has. As a tutor, this is what I require of all my parents. Then I know exactly what to work on. It may be that the eighth grade tutor does not know what help your child needs specifically or there may be too close a friendship there that your child may not wish to share the fact that he is confused. You may find an adult tutor, maybe another parent, that would be willing to swap tutoring for something, such an hour of tutoring for an hour of ironing, or dinner cooked for her family. Get creative. Do not push your child too hard though. You may find your child pushes back and begins to resent math when it is forced on him. I would schedule another conference with his teacher and discuss these ideas. See what she says. She may know of the parent to match you up with. Good luck. It's a tough situation to be in. -Judy, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/