Q&A #3701

What is a math unit?

View entire discussion

From: Suzanne A. (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Apr 16, 2000 at 15:36:31
Subject: Re: What is a math unit?

Oh, dear. I can see that you are frustrated. Hopefully, I can help a little! I am a middle school teacher in California and I know right now with a lot of the requirements teaching can be a bit stressful. Here's my definition of a "math unit" - A lesson would be when you have one day planned out but a unit is when you have a larger concept in mind and you plan several days in a row in order to get across that larger concept. I think it might help if I give you an example. My students (seventh grade) do a unit I call The Traffic Jam Activity. It takes about a week to complete and the end result is that the students have worked through building an algebraic function. You can see it here: http://mathforum.org/alejandre/frisbie/jam.html I wrote a Polyhedra Unit a few years back and you can see the organization of it from this page: http://mathforum.org/alejandre/workshops/unit14.html If you want to see more examples, they are here: Last year's: http://www.rialto.k12.ca.us/frisbie/coyote/math/unit7.html This year's: http://www.rialto.k12.ca.us/frisbie/math/7th.math.html If any of these is more confusing or if you have questions, please write back. I will be happy to try to clarify more! Hang in there! We need you. :) -Suzanne A., for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®