From: Lynn Kluppel <SEKLUPPEL@POL.NET>
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Jun 16, 1998 at 21:58:59
Subject: Calculators in the Primary Classroom

I have read some research that has reported that the use of calculators in
the primary classroom (K-2) has increased the students' use of basic facts
and has also increased the students' self-confidence as mathmaticians.
However, I can not find any of the lessons, activities used, or the type of
calculators used anywhere. Could you please direct me to these types or
activities or give me a few of these activities to try at our school? I am
the primary math team leader for Ashbel Smith Elementary in Baytown, Texas.
We use calculators in our intermediate classrooms, but if there are ways to
introduce these skills earlier, we would like to look into this.  We have
been successful in introducing some of the more difficult skills in the
primary grades and the intermediate teachers have been very pleased with
the students arriving with at least a general idea of how to use and work
with the more difficult skills in mathematics.  Thank you for your time and
cooperation.

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®