From: Gail (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Apr 21, 2000 at 11:22:47
Subject: Re: Teacher Knowledge

This is purely my opinion, as I have no hard data to support it...   but it
seems to me that the more a teacher knows about the subject being taught
(content area knowledge) the more able he/she will be to guide students to a
solid understanding.  I know that the topics I have the firmest, deepest
understanding of are also the ones I am most able to allow fruitful discourse
during.  What I mean is, I can listen to what my students are saying, and
hear the misconceptions, and provide counter arguments best, when I have an
understanding of the topic.

The reverse of that is that providing guidance, and nurturing growth of
understanding are difficult to do if one does not have the depth to see the
connections themselves.

Knowledge of pedagogy has the same effect, as far as I am concerned.  If a
teacher doesn't have the strategies needed to help all different kinds of
learners in the classroom, some students will not achieve their potential.
That is not to say they won't learn, just that they won't learn as much as
they could have.

 -Gail, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question