From: Marielouise (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 10, 2000 at 22:28:11
Subject: Re: Dividing by zero

Hi,

It is now after 9 p.m. and I have read the answers sent to you by Jeanne, Pat
and Claudia.  I cannot add anything further to their explanations because I
would use one of their approaches dependent upon the level of my students.

When kids do not accept any of the explanations and keep asking the question,
I tell them (humorously, of course) that Moses ran out of tablet space and
could not write down the Eleventh Commandment of God:

Thou shalt not divide by zero!

What does this do?   It generally stops the questions, until the next time! -

Marielouise, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Visit us again at http://mathforum.com/t2t/

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®