Q&A #3900

Teaching Fractions to Exceptional Children in High School

View entire discussion

From: Brandi Robbins
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: May 09, 2000 at 08:49:59
Subject: Teaching Fractions to Exceptional Children in High School

I am an assistant in a high school cross categorical classroom. I hold a degree in the education of deaf children and soon will hold a NC teaching license in hearing impaired k-12. However, I do not know how to teach my high school EMD students fractions. I need to know the steps involved; what I need teach first, second, third, and so forth. I also want to know how to make this learning fun or at least visual and understandable. Up to this point, we have just been playing around, doing what I thought was appropriate. We first talked about what fractions were, how to write a fraction, what the numbers in the fraction stood for, I'd draw a picture and they would write the corresponding fraction, then I'd write a fraction and ask them to draw an appropriate picture. Is this a logical progression? What's next? I also need to know how to connect this to measurement. We first discovered that these students had no concept of fractions when we asked them questions related to measurement. So we back tracked and here we are.

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®