From: Jeanne (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 11, 2000 at 20:18:57
Subject: Re: Math education major

I, too, found myself looking between engineering and teaching mathematics when I was in college. I have never regretted my choice to become a part of the mathematics education world. A friend of mine did the same thing and has never regretted her choice to become an engineer. I think it's great that you are exploring your options. Now for your questions... Do you have to teach in North Dakota? No. There is a severe shortage of qualified mathematics teachers all over the country. However, to teach in another state, you must meet the credential requirements of the state in which you wish to teach. The education department at NDSU is a good place to start researching this information. If you are interested in teaching in California (yes, I teach in California), I suggest you contact the Commission on Teacher Credentialling to see what is required. Their web address is http://www.ctc.ca.gov. Could you return to school later and get a teaching credential? Absolutely. The physics teacher at my school is was a nuclear engineer for 20 years before he got his teaching credential. He doesn't make half as much money as he used to. BUT he loves what he is doing and his students think the world of him. Hope this helps! -Jeanne, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/