From: Marielouise (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 14, 2000 at 22:54:13
Subject: Re: Qualifications to become a math teacher

In the paragraph above you have asked several questions.  I suggest that we
approach the questions one at a time.

•How long do you have to go to school to become a college math teacher?

Most college math teachers who are employed full time and expect to be at
their position for a long time have an advanced degree, Ph.D. in mathematics.
This can take many years to obtain.  A student attends college for four years
and then enters graduate school.   This can take anywhere from 3-10 years
before a graduate thesis is completed.  Most graduate students in mathematics
take 4.5 years to complete their degree.  The graduates then look for
positions at college.

There are many college math teachers who only have a Master degree in
Mathematics who are teaching full or part time.  It usually takes two years
to complete a master degree.

• Do you have to love kids to do this job.

I am assuming that you mean "this job" to be teaching college.   Most people
that attend college are not kids but rather young adults of age 19+  or
adults over 21+.   To teach anyone effectively you have to like whom you
teach.  In teaching on the elementary, middle or secondary level effectively,
it is necessary that the teacher like kids.   If the teacher doesn't like
kids, the kids know it and not too much learning goes on.

• How old do you have to be?
In order to teach college you have to get degrees as well as a position.
Most college teachers are in their late 20's when they get their first job.

•What kind of class do you have to take?
To teach college a person needs an undergraduate degree from an accredited
college and a graduate degree from a graduate school.   To teach mathematics,
the graduate student would only study mathematics and related courses that
the student might not have sufficient knowledge about:  physics, logic,
applied fields.

I suggest Jenny that you ask your teacher, your school counselor, or your
parents to find a mathematics teacher at a local college.  Make an
appointment to see the person.  Go and inter view the person.

I wish you success.

-Marielouise, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/