From: Suzanne A. (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 15, 2000 at 00:13:49
Subject: Re: Powers of ten in our everyday lives

I am a middle school teacher in California and I often like to give my
students the assignment of explaining to me how they use mathematics in their
everyday lives. What I attempt to explain to them is that they need to not
isolate mathematics from life and instead think of where they might "see"
that mathematical concept normally.

So, using that idea I invite you to go to this Web site that I found called
the Powers of Ten:

http://www.wordwizz.com/pwrsof10.htm

It is by Bruce Bryson and he has developed an Internet site that can give you
the experience of using the powers of ten. After experiencing that, why do
you think that would be used in someone's everyday life? Can you think of
some jobs that that experience would be useful for?

Another source of information for you to gather ideas about the Powers of Ten
might be a page of links that I made for my students including scientific
notation (writing numbers using powers of ten). You can find that page here:

http://www.rialto.k12.ca.us/frisbie/math/sci.abs.html

I hope that helps.

 -Suzanne A., for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/