Q&A #3938

Powers of ten in our everyday lives

View entire discussion

From: Suzanne A. (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 15, 2000 at 00:13:49
Subject: Re: Powers of ten in our everyday lives

I am a middle school teacher in California and I often like to give my students the assignment of explaining to me how they use mathematics in their everyday lives. What I attempt to explain to them is that they need to not isolate mathematics from life and instead think of where they might "see" that mathematical concept normally. So, using that idea I invite you to go to this Web site that I found called the Powers of Ten: http://www.wordwizz.com/pwrsof10.htm It is by Bruce Bryson and he has developed an Internet site that can give you the experience of using the powers of ten. After experiencing that, why do you think that would be used in someone's everyday life? Can you think of some jobs that that experience would be useful for? Another source of information for you to gather ideas about the Powers of Ten might be a page of links that I made for my students including scientific notation (writing numbers using powers of ten). You can find that page here: http://www.rialto.k12.ca.us/frisbie/math/sci.abs.html I hope that helps. -Suzanne A., for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®