Q&A #3945

Coordinate proofs

View entire discussion

From: Claudia (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 15, 2000 at 10:17:10
Subject: Re: Coordinate proofs

You do have your hands full! Do you have a copy of Discovering Geometry? published by Key Curriculum Press. There are some excellent "hands-on" kinds of investigations with coordinate proofs. Do you have access to the Geometer Sketchpad??? There are also some wonderful practice lessons and explorations that support the software. Regarding a take home test........ Here are a few ideas that might help your time crunch. 1) Students can learn a few things as they do the "take home" test, so you don't have to go over everything ahead of time. 2) Make some items fairly easy, so that if/when students complain, they get to see that there were a variety of items. 3) I usually like to have at least two really challenging items so I can tell who got help and anticipate what kind of help that might be. I ask them not to consult other people, only books and other written material, but we all know how far that goes! So, I can tell on the more difficult ideas which students "discussed in depth" the items because of how their answers are presented in similar fashions. 4) I always have multiple parts to questions. You don't want items where they can just fill in a blank. In this case, you probably want drawings of graphs. Have them explain what they did on a couple of the items. Hope this helps...... good luck! -Claudia, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®