Q&A #3957

Negative numbers

View entire discussion
[<<prev] [next>>]

From: Suzanne A. (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 16, 2000 at 22:17:01
Subject: Re: Negative numbers

My students (middle school) often ask similar questions and I always have to laugh because they think that there will be a single definitive answer. I went to the Math Forum's Ask Dr. Math FAQ page: http://mathforum.org/dr.math/faq/ and down in the second section there is a link to: Earliest Uses of Mathematical Symbols http://members.aol.com/jeff570/mathsym.html which has some information under "Addition and Subtration" that you might find useful. It just doesn't exactly pinpoint it, or if it does, I'm not seeing it. I thought I would be able to give you more information but hopefully another mentor will read this and supply the needed information! -Suzanne A., for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®