Q&A #3957

Negative numbers

View entire discussion
[<<prev] [next>>]

From: Suzanne A. (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 16, 2000 at 22:17:01
Subject: Re: Negative numbers

My students (middle school) often ask similar questions and I always have to
laugh because they think that there will be a single definitive answer. I
went to the Math Forum's Ask Dr. Math FAQ page:

and down in the second section there is a link to:

Earliest Uses of Mathematical Symbols

which has some information under "Addition and Subtration" that you might
find useful. It just doesn't exactly pinpoint it, or if it does, I'm not
seeing it.

I thought I would be able to give you more information but hopefully another
mentor will read this and supply the needed information!

 -Suzanne A., for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®