Q&A #3971

View entire discussion

From: Suzanne A. (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 19, 2000 at 01:12:44
Subject: Re: Measurement

I started by doing a search on the Math Forum site using: http://mathforum.org/grepform.html and I found this Ask Dr. Math response: http://mathforum.org/dr.math/problems/sen7.16.97.html and if you look at #6 it mentions: 6. Make and use a clinometer (sextant) to indirectly measure five lengths. Do this project only after having studied similar triangles. Reference: "The Mathematics Teacher", Feb. '76, p. 135. I don't know if you would have access to this periodical but it sounds like a great source for what you want. Then I found this lesson plan which looked more introductory than what you had in mind: http://mathforum.org/paths/measurement/tall.html Then I went to http://ask.com and just searched for "clinometer" and found this site: Clinometer to measure the height of Trees - Elanora Heights Primary School http://www.zip.com.au/~elanora/tclinom.html I hope that helps. -Suzanne A., for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®