From: Suzanne A. (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 23, 2000 at 00:58:27
Subject: Re: Multiple intelligences

I can provide a couple of ideas that I have incorporated into my 7th grade mathematics class. Before I start, though, I thought I would point to this website that I found that has is a nice, simple, clear reference: http://edweb.cnidr.org/edref.mi.th1.html Musical Intelligence Sometimes I play music while the students are working. I must admit that I select music that they may not hear otherwise. :) Classical, for example. Bodily-Kinesthetic Intelligence Some of the activities that I do involve manipulatives even to the point of including the bodies of the students! One of these activities is displayed (and explained) on the Web here: http://mathforum.org/alejandre/clime/traffic.jam.html Logical-Mathematical Intelligence This is quite easy for a mathematics class! Linguistic Intelligence Ask students to write about their mathematical thinking. I have a page here explaining to my students how I prefer they approach problem solving: http://www.rialto.k12.ca.us/frisbie/coyote/math/diagram.html Spatial Intelligence Ask students to draw diagrams. A specific example would be to explore both nets and three-dimensional polyhedra and the connections. Ask them to recognize one given the other! Interpersonal Intelligence Cooperative learning groups. Again I have a page on this that I like to point people to: http://www.excel.net/~ssmith/cooplrn.html Intrapersonal Intelligence Besides using cooperative learning, also have students work individually! Naturalist Intelligence I had not heard of this one before until I found the web page I listed above but it is "a person's ability to identify and classify patterns in nature." Sounds like mathematics to me! I hope this gives you some ideas. -Suzanne A., for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/