From: Suzanne A. (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 23, 2000 at 00:58:27
Subject: Re: Multiple intelligences

I can provide a couple of ideas that I have incorporated into my 7th grade
mathematics class. Before I start, though, I thought I would point to this
website that I found that has is a nice, simple, clear reference:

http://edweb.cnidr.org/edref.mi.th1.html

Musical Intelligence
Sometimes I play music while the students are working. I must admit that I
select music that they may not hear otherwise. :)  Classical, for example.

Bodily-Kinesthetic Intelligence
Some of the activities that I do involve manipulatives even to the point of
including the bodies of the students! One of these activities is displayed
(and explained) on the Web here:

http://mathforum.org/alejandre/clime/traffic.jam.html

Logical-Mathematical Intelligence
This is quite easy for a mathematics class!

Linguistic Intelligence
Ask students to write about their mathematical thinking. I have a page here
explaining to my students how I prefer they approach problem solving:

http://www.rialto.k12.ca.us/frisbie/coyote/math/diagram.html

Spatial Intelligence
Ask students to draw diagrams.
A specific example would be to explore both nets and three-dimensional
polyhedra and the connections. Ask them to recognize one given the other!

Interpersonal Intelligence
Cooperative learning groups. Again I have a page on this that I like to point
people to:

http://www.excel.net/~ssmith/cooplrn.html

Intrapersonal Intelligence
Besides using cooperative learning, also have students work individually!

Naturalist Intelligence
I had not heard of this one before until I found the web page I listed above
but it is "a person's ability to identify and classify patterns in nature."
Sounds like mathematics to me!

I hope this gives you some ideas.

 -Suzanne A., for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/