Q&A #3996

Multiple intelligences

View entire discussion

From: Jeanne (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 23, 2000 at 01:29:13
Subject: Re: Multiple intelligences

My practical interpretation of making use of "multiple intelligences" is teaching so that as many of the students' senses are involved. For example, after my geometry class and I derive the relationship of the sides of a 30-60-90 triangle, they record it in their notes (diagrams and everything). I then make them say it rhythmically out loud to the beat of a cha-cha. 1, 2, cha cha cha "1n, 2n, n root 3" I clap my hands in time. ... "1n, 2n, n root 3" They clap their hands. ... "1n, 2n, n root 3" They think I'm nuts. ..."1n, 2n, n root 3" But that's okay. ... "1n, 2n, n root 3" In this example, the kids have seen the diagram, written it, said it, clapped it, laughed at the teacher. My goal it to attach as many "memories" to this fact. It works. One year I had laryngitis--absolutely no voice--when a review question required the students to apply this relationship. I clapped the rhythm and the 3 students who had me in Geometry the previous year, chanted, "1n, 2n, n root 3". I got one of them to go to the board and explain it to the class. Hope this helps and gives you some ideas of your own. -Jeanne, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®