Q&A #4053

Name for 3 zeroes

View entire discussion

From: Pat Ballew (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Jun 16, 2000 at 18:38:40
Subject: Re: Name for 3 zeroes

After sending you the previous letter, I came across a web page about Stevin, the author of DISME, the book which really brought decimal calculation to the common man.. As I was reading it, I came across a line that said "The fourth Definition. Every three Characters of a Number is called a Member, whereof the first are the three first towards the right hand: the second, the three Characters next following towards the left hand: and so by order, for the third Member and others following, as many as there shall be score threes in the Number propounded. AS in the number 357876297, the 297 is called the first Member: and 876 the second: and 357 the third." The site is still under construction, and there are some typos but it is still worth a visit. Here is the URL http://home.wxs.nl/~hopfam/Dime.html This would be a nice thing to share with kids so that they understand that math and its language are still dynamic. -Pat Ballew, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®