From: Claudia (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Jul 06, 1998 at 21:29:08
Subject: Re: Philosophy for math curriculum

I share with you a copy of what we have written in our course book
introduction under mathematics:

"Mathematics has a long impressive record of contributions to discovery and
problem solving in science and technology, decision-making in business and
government, and creative expression in the arts. This record of achievement
has earned mathematics a prominent place in school curricula. We live in a
world where the emphasis has shifted the demands of mathematics to prepare
technologically advanced students who can solve real-world problems and who
can communicate those solutions. The Mississippi School for Mathematics and
Science mathematics curriculum emphasizes exploring, investigating,
reasoning, and communicating for all students."

Hope this is food for thought

 -Claudia, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/