Q&A #4094

Elementary math

View entire discussion

From: Gail (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Jun 06, 2000 at 23:01:39
Subject: Re: Elementary math

I believe the term "fuzzy math" is a derogatory way of referring to the methods used by many mathematics educators today. These methods embrace the NCTM Standards, and reflect a child-centered philosophy in which students are empowered to construct their individual understanding of mathematics under the guidance of their teacher. Some people refer to this as "fuzzy math" because we (these math educators) believe it is crucial for children to recognize there are many different ways to approach and solve problems. We also believe that children need to have a firm understanding of number sense. To assist children in building this understanding we recommend many experiences with concrete materials prior to, and during work with more abstract concepts, such as the algorithms involved in the learning of computation. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have about this topic. We should be glad to share more information with you. -Gail, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®