From: Pat Ballew (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Jun 14, 2000 at 17:35:37
Subject: Re: European long division

I was not familiar with a significantly different approach in either
place, and I work with teachers all over the world, so to be sure, I wrote to
a discussion group that has teachers from almost every part of the globe.
Here is a response I got from a friend from the Netherlands who has been a
Math Doctor for a long time and is a VERY good mathematician and educator.
The method is only a minor difference from the one we use here.  If I learn
more, I will forward that to you as well.  Sorry I could not be more help...

------------------Flo  wrote------------------------------

Hi, Pat,

I don't believe that in Europe and South America a "different" (from the
USuAl) algorithm is used. I do know that here, I live and teach in the
Netherlands, we write down a long division in a different way. The
division of 162318 by 78 is written down as:

  78 / 162318 \ 2081
       156
       ---
         631
         624
         ---
           78
           78
           --
            0

Something else:
I have read about experiments of teaching long division in primary
schools in a more flexible and less algorithmic approach. This method
can be more like the way you calculate divisions by head. I don't know
whether this method has made it or is making it to more general use in
class, since I teach in secondary school only. Here is an example of a
division in this method:

Divide 1776 by 12.

            12
  1776
  1200     100x
  ----
   576
   600      50x
   ---
   -24
   -12      -1x
   ---
   -12
   -12      -1x
   ---    ------ +
     0      148

Of course this method is meant to let pupils start with any approach,
and let them gain better strategies. For instance, I used negative
numbers here, while when you start explaining this for the first couple
of times you shouldn't. More gifted children could use them later on to
improve their _speed_.

The _oldfashioned_ long division is more like a computer algorithm,
while in this method pupils might learn to have more 'feeling' for
numbers.

Kind regards,
Floor van Lamoen,
Goes, the Netherlands.

Thanks for writing...
Hope this has helped some...

 -Pat Ballew, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/