From: Gail (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Jun 22, 2000 at 22:48:25
Subject: Re: Teaching capacity-quarts, gallons and etc.

This isn't an article...  but it is an activity I have done to help students
relate the  different units of capacity they might not be totally familiar
with.  We begin with a piece of 8.5 X 11 paper, and label that "one Gallon".
 We fold it in half ( a "hamburger fold" , if you are familiar with that
term...   if not, we fold it to make two short , fat rectangles, as opposed
to two long thin rectangles).  This becomes the body of our "Gallon Guy"  or
Gallon Gal", with the fold a belt around the guy/gal's waist.

Now, take another sheet of paper, and fold it to make four long thin strips.
These are the arms and legs for the Gallon Guy/Gal.  Attach one strip to
each upper corner, and two to the lower edge.  Label each of these strip "one
Quart".  Have the students compare the size of these four "quarts" with the
entire "gallon".

Now take another sheet of paper and fold and cut four more of the long
strips.  Cut each of these strips in half to make two (eight in all) short,
fat rectangles.  Use two of the rectangles to make each foot (long and thin),
and each hand (short and fat).   Attach them to the appropriate locations on
the Gallon Guy/Gal.  Label each small rectangle a "pint", and not that each
hand and foot uses two of them...   Have students compare the sizes of these
"pints" with the gallon and the quarts.  Have them turn the gallon guy/gal
over to label the back of each pint with the words "two cups".  Help them
relate to how much a cup is by having them look at the milk carton in the
cafeteria.  Most are one cup in capacity.  (if you wanted, you could have
your students cup out the 16 "cups" from yet another sheet of paper and glue
them to hands and feet as "fingers and toes"...

Finish off the Gallon Guy/Gal with a paper plate head.

My fourth and fifth  grade students alwasy enjoy this activity.  I leave mine
hanging in the room to use as a reference, and they take theirs home to share
with parents.

 -Gail, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question