From: Gail (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Jun 24, 2000 at 14:42:53
Subject: Re: Teaching a math lesson

I imagine "this Friday" has already passed, so I will begin with an apology
for not getting to this response sooner.  This most important thing you can
do to prepare for any teaching activity is to be sure you know the material
well yourself.  This is doubly important when you don't know the students you
will be teahcing, because you have to be able to assess what your students
are understanding as you teach.  You must be able to respond to their
questions and comments, and when you can see that a way of thinking is going
to draw a student off course, you have to be able to provide counter-examples
that will help make the wrong-thinking clear.  If you don't know the topic
you are teahcing well, your energy will be directed more toward your own
efforts.  You won't have the time or the energy to listen to what your
students are saying, and to notice the misconceptions as they occur.  More
importantly, you won't know the examples to present that will help your
students make the important generalizations they need to be making.

We hope your lesson went well, despite our late response.

 -Gail, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®