From: Suzanne A. (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Jul 06, 2000 at 00:41:50
Subject: Re: Connecting hands-on and technology for remedial math

Dear Carol,

Oh, my, if there is such a thing I would love to see it, too! I have been a
middle school mathematics teacher for quite a while and recently I have been
developing activities that have 3 components including a technological
presentation, a hands-on presentation and a paper/pencil (standardized test
simulation) presentation. I agree that this is the way to reach students who
have problems in mathematics BUT also it is the way to reach all students! It
is a very rich mathematical experience. I must admit, though, that I have not
yet run across any prepared or available materials! I wrote all of mine but
they are for 7th graders and not the ages that you mention. :(

I actually think that it is the computer program that is the most difficult to
find because it should be something where the computer is a tool in working
through the mathematics. To give you an example of the type of lessons that I
think work this was, there is this one I called Traffic Jam which is on the
Web here:

http://mathforum.org/alejandre/frisbie/jam.html

Perhaps another T2T Associate with elementary experience will have more
information for you.

 -Suzanne A., for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/