From: Margie Kunz
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Jul 03, 2000 at 11:41:54
Subject: Saxon Algebra 1 (volume or prisms)

I will be student teaching in the fall. I will be teaching 8th grade Algebra. I have been reviewing over the book because I took my college algebra class 10 years ago. My question is why at the beginning of the book the volume of a right prism is taught perimeter(lateral surface area) times height and later in the book volume of a prism is taught area of base times the perpendicular distance between the bases? Is there a good reason for the different formulas? Also do both formulas render the same solution?

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/