From: Suzanne A. (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Jul 05, 2000 at 23:59:21
Subject: Re: Geometry

Dear Susan,

Hmmmm....this is an interesting observation by your school administrator. I
think I will respond from my experience as a student and that would be to
point out that many of my teachers taught "what was in the book" and often
geometry is one of the last chapters! The other observation I made as a
student was that geometry that was taught to me in my undergraduate career
was very abstract. I had no clue how what I was being taught about the
mathematical topic of geometry had anything to do with the world!

Now, I compare that to how I taught seventh grade mathematics and I didn't go
in any order in the book and I think the best way to reach seventh graders is
to connect algebra to geometry, number sense to geometry, and measurement to
geometry! So.....I guess my other answer to your school administrator is to
explain to him/her that not "all" teacher think that geometry is a difficult
subject, in fact there are some who love geometry!

Here are a few lessons to convince him/her:

Understanding Factoring through Geometry
http://mathforum.org/alejandre/factor1.html

Studying Polyhedra
http://mathforum.org/alejandre/applet.polyhedra.html

Building a Pyramid
http://www.rialto.k12.ca.us/frisbie/mathfair/pyramid2.html

I hope that helps!

 -Suzanne A., for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/