From: Sandra Cap <sandrac_60514@yahoo.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Jul 25, 2000 at 11:30:43
Subject: Re: Estimation: Order of Magnitude, Compensation

Thank you so much for your prompt and detailed reply.  Maybe more background
information would help you or someone else answer more specifically.  Our
students take the Iowa Test of Basic Skills and, city-wide, they always do
poorly on these two skills, especially "order of magnitude."  I have yet to
find anyone who even knows what order of magnitude means, let alone how and
when to use it.  I am already familiar with the procedure you described.  It
may or may not be what is meant by this topic on the ITBS.  I agree that it
is more a way of finding the exact answer than of estimating.  I already
emailed the publishers of this test, but they have not so far answered.  It's
been about a month.  I'll try again.

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®