Q&A #4330

Statistics Texts

View entire discussion

From: Pat Ballew (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Jul 20, 2000 at 18:19:59
Subject: Re: Statistics Texts

Given the audience you describe, I would suggest you try to model your class on the Chance programs of Laurie Snell (Dartmouth, I think). If you search Chance and Snell (I hope it has two l's), you will find a link to the Chance data base which will give you some sample lessons from their courses at different times and different years. The program uses current news stories to make students aware of chance variation and its implications on their lives. You might also look at David Moore's "Concepts and Controversy in Statistics" (I don't think that is exactly right, but if you put a couple of those words in Amazon and his name it should light up the right one.) You may find that students who have not performed well in other classes respond well to the Chance type class because it gives them some input into where the topics go. Good luck, I hope this is of help to you. -Pat Ballew, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®