From: <sisu@columbus.rr.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Jul 24, 2000 at 21:41:25
Subject: Decomposing numbers

What does the term decomposing numbers mean?

I continue to encounter the term decomposing numbers in the state
proficiency learning outcomes.  I have not found it defined beyond the
example 2+5 = 7 and 3+4= 7.

Does it apply to operations besides addition?

I would like a better understanding of this term to plan experiences for
my students beyond memorizing number sentences.

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/