From: <sisu@columbus.rr.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Jul 24, 2000 at 21:41:25
Subject: Decomposing numbers

What does the term decomposing numbers mean? I continue to encounter the term decomposing numbers in the state proficiency learning outcomes. I have not found it defined beyond the example 2+5 = 7 and 3+4= 7. Does it apply to operations besides addition? I would like a better understanding of this term to plan experiences for my students beyond memorizing number sentences.

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/