Q&A #4348

Decomposing numbers

View entire discussion
[<<prev] [next>>]

From: Gail (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Jul 25, 2000 at 07:36:40
Subject: Re: Decomposing numbers

I have searched for this term in several places, and haven't found it anywhere. I do remember that it was used to describe (define?) the division algorithm (a "decomposition" algorithm), which makes me think it has to do with beginning with an amount and then subtracting to get smaller and smaller amounts. That doesn't really seem to fit with the two examples you show above. Perhaps the intent of the examples was to say that a number can be "decomposed" in a variety of ways, and that your students need to be able to recognize that. Sorry not to be of more help. Perhaps your school system's math supervisor can shed a bit more light on this. -Gail, for the Teacher2Teacher service Visit us again at http://mathforum.com/t2t/

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®