From: Jeanne (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Jul 26, 2000 at 16:25:31
Subject: Re: Action research in the classroom

Hello Heidi, Yes, I have used action research in my classroom and I know of many other teachers (K - 12) in my area who have also used it in their classrooms. We, however, call it "teacher research." I looked into two areas: (1) teaching students in a general math level class how to solve linear equations (ex. 3x + 1 = -10 and 5 - 3(2x - 2) = 5x) using manipulatives, and (2) the effects of using manipulatives to help students write proofs in geometry. A key component of my research was the reflection I had to do to record my thoughts, observations, discoveries, and so forth in my journal. I found myself "watching myself teach my students." I started listening to my students' responses more closely than ever before. I found myself doing more and more informal assessment of what was going on with my students and adjusting my teaching to meet their needs so that we could meet my teaching objectives more effectively. My students taught me a great deal about being a better teacher for them. So yes, it did (and will continue) to improve my teaching. If you'd like to talk about more specifics, please write back. -Jeanne, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/