From: Marielouise (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Sep 08, 2000 at 12:45:30
Subject: Re: Galileo and his contribution to math

Hi, Jami, I asked an elementary teacher about this question. This is her reply: Math is an integral component of science. Exploring the mathematics of magnification would be interesting to elementary students. I would do a web search for more information relating his discoveries and inventions to the mathematics involved. - Penny There is a video and Time/Life book called "The Power of Ten." This could help you with magnification. I tried a web search as Penny suggested. There are hundreds of Galileo references but not one in elementary education. I would suggest that you look up the history / biography of Galileo. He was interested in astronomy as well as basic physics. I went to his museum in Florence. Italian school children were there. I was most impressed by his "perfect" instruments that he used to confirm his mathematical findings. You might want to try the Eisenhower National Clearninghouse for materials. http://www.enc.org or The International Galilean Bibliography (1965 - 1996) http://galileo.imss.firenze.it/biblio/ebibgal.html -Marielouise, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/