Q&A #4604

Galileo and his contribution to math

View entire discussion

From: Marielouise (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Sep 08, 2000 at 12:45:30
Subject: Re: Galileo and his contribution to math

Hi, Jami,

I asked an elementary teacher about this question.

This is her reply:

 Math is an integral component of science. Exploring the mathematics of
magnification would be interesting to elementary students.  I would do a web
search for more information relating his discoveries and inventions to the
mathematics involved.
- Penny

There is a video and Time/Life book called "The Power of Ten." This could
help you with magnification.

I tried a web search as Penny suggested.  There are hundreds of Galileo
references but not one in elementary education.

I would suggest that you look up the history / biography of Galileo.  He was
interested in astronomy as well as basic physics.  I went to his museum in
Florence.  Italian school children were there.  I was most impressed by his
"perfect" instruments that he used to confirm his mathematical findings.

You might want to try the Eisenhower National Clearninghouse for materials.

or The International Galilean Bibliography (1965 - 1996)

  -Marielouise, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®