From: Marielouise (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Sep 08, 2000 at 12:45:30
Subject: Re: Galileo and his contribution to math

Hi, Jami,

I asked an elementary teacher about this question.

This is her reply:

 Math is an integral component of science. Exploring the mathematics of
magnification would be interesting to elementary students.  I would do a web
search for more information relating his discoveries and inventions to the
mathematics involved.
- Penny

There is a video and Time/Life book called "The Power of Ten." This could
help you with magnification.

I tried a web search as Penny suggested.  There are hundreds of Galileo
references but not one in elementary education.

I would suggest that you look up the history / biography of Galileo.  He was
interested in astronomy as well as basic physics.  I went to his museum in
Florence.  Italian school children were there.  I was most impressed by his
"perfect" instruments that he used to confirm his mathematical findings.

You might want to try the Eisenhower National Clearninghouse for materials.

http://www.enc.org

or The International Galilean Bibliography (1965 - 1996)

http://galileo.imss.firenze.it/biblio/ebibgal.html

  -Marielouise, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/