Q&A #466

Understanding word problems

View entire discussion

From: Jim Waters
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Aug 02, 1998 at 18:52:47
Subject: Understanding word problems

Recently I became involved in teaching a GED program for adults. I observed that most students lack the ability needed to interpret word problems. I realize that this probably represents a gap in their verbal education. In any event, I am contacting you for some direction in methods and procedures for helping students to understand when to add, subtract, multiply, and divide when trying to solve a word problem. Your response will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your attention.

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®