From: Tim G. (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Sep 20, 2000 at 15:05:58
Subject: Re: Problem solving

This is always a really hard part of mathematics instruction. In my class, I am looking for how the problem was solved. For instance, your son might have simply subtracted 43 from 50, or he may have counted on from 43 until 50 or he might have seen that 50 is 5 more than 45 and 45 is 2 more than 43 and 5 more and 2 more is 7 more so the change must have been 7. However your son solved it is fine, but as the teacher I would like for my students to be able to explain to me how they solved it. The reason is that in order to explain an answer, a child must understand how they solved the problem. Does this help? I hope so. -Tim G., for the Teacher2Teacher service Visit us again at http://mathforum.com/t2t/

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/