Q&A #487

Teaching methods for gifted children

View entire discussion

From: Claudia (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Aug 23, 1998 at 22:43:25
Subject: Re: Teaching methods for gifted children

You might also want to check out your library and see if you locate the Journal of Gifted Education. The Journal is entitled, "The Journal of Secondary Gifted Education". To subscribe, I believe that you can call 1-800-998-2208. The address is JSGE PO Box 8813 Waco, TX 76714-8813 The journal contains articles by those who teach gifted students and present a variety of ideas for teaching gifted children. I have been involved in teaching gifted children for a long time. Of big importance is that gifted students do not need a lot of repetition. Quality versus quantity! Gifted children tend to be VERY creative, so don't expect their solutions to problems to be in a prescribed manner. Create activities that use many facets of their talents. Another thing that I have noticed is that gifted children tend to want to do things alone. They are not comfortable with group work. This is probably one of the largest obstacles you will have to help them overcome! I have also had the experience of creating activities that were so challenging that even my gifted students missed the whole point. It is important to get real feedback from the students, not just lip service. Often times gifted students can become underachievers if not properly motivated or if personal problems interfere. You might also want to check with a local university education department to see if there are any professors who have done research in gifted education. I have relied heavily on the expertise of university folks for general ideas that help me meet the needs of my gifted students in the area of mathematics! -Claudia, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®