From: Jeanne (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Nov 14, 2000 at 00:33:40
Subject: Re: Christmas Around the World

I typed in the term "Christmas" in the Math Forum's search engine (http://mathforum.org/grepform.html) and was rewarded with the following sites: The Twelve Days of Christmas http://dimacs.rutgers.edu/~judyann/LP/lessons/12.days.html Ask Dr. Math: Who Made Which Toys? http://mathforum.org/dr.math/problems/katie12.21.98.html From the Middle School Problems of the Week: Who Made Santa's Sleigh http://mathforum.org/midpow/POW/Dec.06.html After the Twelve Days of Christmas http://mathforum.org/midpow/POW/Dec.20.html Plan the Best Route for a Shopping Trip http://mathforum.org/midpow/POW/Dec.27.html Martian Holiday http://mathforum.org/midpow/solutions/19971208.midpow.html And here are some thoughts of my own... Why not have the students take a recipe or two or three for making cookies, for example, have them compute how much of the ingredients are necessary to make enough cookies so that each child in your class has two (of each kind)? How much time will it take to make all of these cookies? Lots of opportunities to practice multiplying fractions, solving proportions, measurement. Origami is rich in opportunities to practice measurement and to do some hands on geometry. There are many books available in the bookstores on making origami Christmas ornaments. My favorite three dimensional shapes to make is the cube, the stellated octahedron and the stellated icosahedron. The last two are stars. There are several sources which give instructions. My favorite resource book is "Unfolding Mathematics with Unit Origami." http://www.keypress.com/catalog/products/supplementals/Prod_UnfoldOrig.html I like to teach my students how to make origami boxes. I use these boxes to teach/review surface area and volume. One of the books I use is "Origami Boxes" by Tomoko Fuse. Hope this helps. -Jeanne, for the T2T service

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/