Q&A #5103

Grading policy

View entire discussion
[<<prev] [next>>]

From: Marielouise (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Nov 13, 2000 at 21:56:31
Subject: Re: Grading policy

A similar question was asked once before. I've copied the question and a few answers written by myself and another teacher. Question: I am a teacher in an international school in Tashkent. How can I use the homework for assessment of the success of students? What follows are answers. This depends on what you mean by assessment. If you are talking about assigning a grade for the work, to be used to evaluate the student, then I am uncomfortable using homework to assess a student's understanding because so many factors can influence the answers on homework. It may not be the student's own work, for example. Perhaps a parent helped, or a fellow student. Another reason I am not comfortable using homework for assessment/evaluation is that I believe homework should be a time to practice what is learned during class time. Practice helps one become proficient, but the practice itself may not always be correct, and that should be all right. On the other hand, if you are assessing the homework to see if what you taught is being understood, then I think you would have a valid reason for assessing the work. Your students' answers could help you see what your students think was taught. Sometimes, what we think we teach, really is not the lesson the students learned at all. -Gail, for the Teacher2Teacher service I gave this answer to the above question: I agree with the answer sent to you from Gail. You are not at all sure that what is seen as homework has been done solely by the student. However, if you wish to see if the student has learned from the assignment, you could give a short quiz after the homework was handed in. The quiz should have a few different -- but similar-- exercises or problems from the homework. This quiz could assess whether or not the student learned from the activity. I tend to look at homework as something that I correct but do not grade. I record a check, a plus or minus or zero! The check is that it is done, the plus means done well and the minus means done poorly. The zero means not done at all. -Marielouise, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®