From: Richard (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Dec 01, 2000 at 12:44:48
Subject: Re: Multiplication with your ten fingers

Perhaps you had in mind the Chisanbop method for "finger math"?

When I submitted the keyword "chisanbop" to the Math Forum search engine
(http://mathforum.org/grepform.html), I found several helpful resources from
our Internet Mathematics Library, including

ChisenBop (or Chisanbop) - Andrew Harris, Computer Science, Indiana & Purdue
Universities
   http://mathforum.org/library/more_info.html?id=7129

Chisenbop tutorial (A new tutorial by Andrew Harris)
   http://klingon.cs.iupui.edu/~aharris/chis/chis.html

... as well as the Ask Dr. Math conversations

Finger Multiplication: Do you know a method for teaching blind children
'finger math'?
   http://mathforum.org/dr.math/problems/clarm4.18.97.html

Chisanbop: Advanced Counting on Fingers: I saw on TV years ago kids in 1st
grade doing advanced math by counting by using their fingers as a kind of
abacus...
   http://mathforum.org/dr.math/problems/harbin3.18.96.html

--
Richard Tchen