From: Suzanne A. (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Dec 01, 2000 at 06:58:09
Subject: Re: Math in a Holocaust Unit

Dear Julie, Until last June I was a middle school teacher in California and we often worked on Interdisciplinary units. I always loved it because of the connections that can be made between classrooms. Of course, my favorite units were the ones that I got to start as the math teacher and then the other teachers had to figure in their pieces. So, let's see if I can help you think of some things. I went to Amazon.com and read the information on Number the Stars and as I was doing that I thought about how the country of Denmark might be used. Might you do something with: 1. currency -- maybe starting with modern day coins and bills and then compare it to the '40's? Just talking about the Danish money system is interesting but then getting into conversions about the prices of things now and in the '40's. (Many of the mathematical tasks that you do would align with Number and Operations NCTM Standards for Grades 6-8) 2. geometrical construction of a Star of David -- do some compass/ straightedge constructions 3. fractal generation from the Star of David: Keplerian Fractals http://www.tabletoptelephone.com/~hopspage/Kplrfrct.html 4. This Ask Dr. Math question gave me the thought that you could do a similar polygon investigation of the Star of David: Chanukah hexagons http://mathforum.org/dr.math/problems/chanukah_hexagons.html 5. Magic Star of David (by Mutsumi Suzuki) http://mathforum.org/alejandre/magic.star/mutsumi.html 6. Here is an Elementary Problem of the Week (Note that you could use the Print the Problem feature in order to give it to your students. This way it will not have "Elementary" at the top of the page.) Tricky Triangles http://mathforum.org/elempow/solutions/solution.ehtml?puzzle=3 If you read through the solutions you will see that the solution is a Star of David! -Suzanne A., for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/