Q&A #5277

Interdisciplinary Topics

View entire discussion

From: Suzanne A. (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Dec 04, 2000 at 11:30:06
Subject: Re: Interdisciplinary Topics

Dear Marie, I was the mathematics teacher on a team at a middle school in California until the last June and I always loved it when it was time to do interdisciplinary lessons. I think it is great for the students and particularly fun if you have a good team of teachers, which I was fortunate to have! So, here are a few ideas that I thought of: 1. Currency: Since the story is set in England in the mid 1800's you could work with the currency of Dicken's day vs. the current currency in the U.K. and compare that to U.S. currency (and others if it would be of interest to your students). 2. Measurement: Continuing with that thought you could work with the cost of the Christmas goose (comparing metric weight to our standard of measurement) -continue with a unit on various forms of measurement. 3. Time: I start thinking of the theory of relativity whenever there is some sort of time warp but that might be a little advanced for middle school. I do think, however, that the idea of going back to the past and going forward to the future are interesting topics and could somehow lead to discussions of time and perhaps time zones? I hope that helps. -Suzanne A., for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®