From: Suzanne A. (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Dec 04, 2000 at 11:30:06
Subject: Re: Interdisciplinary Topics

Dear Marie,

I was the mathematics teacher on a team at a middle school in California
until the last June and I always loved it when it was time to do
interdisciplinary lessons. I think it is great for the students and
particularly fun if you have a good team of teachers, which I was fortunate
to have! So, here are a few ideas that I thought of:

1. Currency: Since the story is set in England in the mid 1800's you could
work with the currency of Dicken's day vs. the current currency in the U.K.
and compare that to U.S. currency (and others if it would be of interest to
your students).

2. Measurement: Continuing with that thought you could work with the cost of
the Christmas goose (comparing metric weight to our standard of measurement)
-continue with a unit on various forms of measurement.

3. Time: I start thinking of the theory of relativity whenever there is some
sort of time warp but that might be a little advanced for middle school. I do
think, however, that the idea of going back to the past and going forward to
the future are interesting topics and could somehow lead to discussions of
time and perhaps time zones?

I hope that helps.

 -Suzanne A., for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message