From: Robin Hudson
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Aug 31, 1998 at 15:52:43
Subject: Teaching basic math

Hi, My son is in the 3rd grade. By the end of his 2nd grade year I thought he was a little behind in his math so for summer my son got a tutor. The tutor assured me he is doing fine. Then this year started. The teacher loves to give mad minutes. My son is not one that can do speed. He knows his facts he is just slow. We are only on addition and I am afraid with the other subjects coming up in math he will fall way behind. I work with him on the average of 45 minutes up to 2 hours a night trying to get him to know the facts. He just isn't getting them fast. He is a wonderful child always done well in school now he has a teacher that says he doesn't pay attention and he can't even do first grade math. I am at a loss on what to do. Could you please help me. Are there things out there that maybe unless you teach you just don't know about? We do flash cards and practice sheets and even computer games but still he is slow. I feel so much pain when he cries and says he will never get it. Hope to hear from you soon.

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/