From: Claudia (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Sep 03, 1998 at 21:42:18
Subject: Re: Teaching basic math

Just returned from a meeting of several teachers around our state, and I posed to them a question about a child having demonstrated the problem your son has. Follow Gail's advice about the beans (AND talking to the teacher). If I can clarify Gail's advice a little more. Do the beans with different amounts. Start with 3 and get your son to tell you how many are left when you cover 2. Have him write out the "math sentence" like 3-2=1 (Writing it in the form he is used to).....then continue until you find out what number has him stuck! Several of the expert elementary teachers I spoke with, said that often a child can get stuck on ONE number and it throws all the learning off of basic facts ESPECIALLY if they are timed. Good luck! -Claudia, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/