Q&A #537

Teaching addition and subtraction

View entire discussion
[<<prev] [next>>]

From: Gail (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Sep 01, 1998 at 19:32:00
Subject: Re: Teaching addition and subtraction

I am not sure why you need to stop her from using her fingers in first grade. Some would argue that you NEVER need to stop her, but I am not sure I agree with that, either. What you can do, is wean her away from using her fingers by helping her acquire some number sense. If you play games with her that use a ten frame ( that is a 5 x 2 rectangle, with each of the ten squares outlined) she will begin to recognize numbers that have a sum of 10. for example, you could fill a few of the squares with beans or counters (one per square) and have her figure out how many beans she would need to complete the ten frame. You could also take a pile of beans ( 10, later 12, then 15, and so one , up to 20) and play the same sort of game. Let her count to see how many there are, then cover some up, or take some away, and have her figure out how many you have covered up or taken away. These are still counting activities, but you are giving her something else to count besides her fingers. Young children don't "see" amounts the way we do. We have years of experience that they haven't the benefit of. Giving your daughter something concrete to move around and count will help her build an understanding of what happens when amounts are combined and separated. Hope this helps. -Gail, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®