Q&A #5442

Percentage of change

View entire discussion

From: Kimberley (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Jan 10, 2001 at 17:04:12
Subject: Re: Percentage of change

Pat's explanation about how to use percentages is great and I hope it helps you. The particular example you gave about finding a percentage of change can be classified as a fourth type of percentage problem (the others being finding the part, finding the whole, or finding the percentage). You might be interested in a mnemonic device developed by my freshmen students for remembering how to do this type. They used "(new - old)/ old". This gives a decimal form which can easily be written as a percentage. Old refers to the original price (in your problem); new refers to the current price. A positive answer means there was a percentage of increase, a negative means a percentage of decrease. -Kimberley, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®