From: Marielouise (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Sep 15, 1998 at 22:56:24
Subject: Re: Mental calculation in maths

I don't have experience teaching primary students but I will give you some of my ideas, having taught some older children and adults. I am also a parent of five children. When I asked older students to mentally do any calculation, I asked them to form a mental picture of what is happening. Mathematicians like you and I do calculations without much thought. We are automatic pilots. My youngest son was able to do multiplication when he was in kindergarten. (Today he is a professional mathematician! So he had some talent). My eighth grade students thought he was so smart when they would ask him what is 6 x 5. He would think for some time and then give the answer as 30. At this stage in his life, he did not know the multiplication tables. One day I asked him how he did it. He told me that he saw the six fives in his head. He added them one at a time to get the thirty. In essence he was counting by five six times. Perhaps you could have your children orally count by different integers such as the sixes or the sevens:6, 12, 18, 24, 30, 36, etc. Division, prior to learning their tables, is subtracting the same digit and mentally counting the number of times. Don't allow yourself to be long-winded. Make the children be long-winded. Have them recite the number out loud while someone else is checking. Hopefully someone who works with very young children will be able to help you more than I can. -Marielouise, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/