From: Suzanne (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Sep 20, 1998 at 11:05:42
Subject: Re:Club activities

In addition to what Gail and Claudia have said, I would like to add that
strategy games are a big favorite for my middle school students.  There are
many different games that are quite applicable to mathematics.  We have mini
tournaments with our group.  The game does not make that much difference as
long as it is one that involves strategy or probability so that a discussion
can evolve from the game.  It can be as simple as a version of tic-tac-toe or
nim to something more complex such as chess.  When using board games such as
chess or checkers there are extension you can do like finding a pattern for
the number of squares on the board itself.
Many of the various games can be accessed on the web just by doing a search
using the name of the game.

 -Suzanne, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/