From: Jeanne (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Feb 12, 2001 at 20:35:18
Subject: Re: Teacher survey

>I need to find out from some high school math teachers what standards you
>use in choosing your curriculum, where you get your standards, do all the
>math teachers at your school use the same standards, and are the students
>grades based on the standards? Also, do you consult with other teachers in
>the school when deciding what to teach and what tests to give? Please
>reply to Lisa Lasseter at Terrlass@cs.com as soon as possible. Thanks!

Hello Lisa,

I teach in California.  K-8 teachers are supposed to use textbooks on the
state adoption list.  One of the criteria to be on this list is that the
textbooks meet the California State Standards.  K-8 teachers who wish to use
a textbook that is not on this list can not use state textbook funds to
purchase it.  Their school must make use of an alternative funding source
instead.

There is no state adoption list of textbooks for 9 - 12 teachers.  The
adoption of a textbook differs from district to district.  With the
pressures in California to improve test scores on the State tests, I would
be very surprised if a district does not check to see how well a textbook
aligns to the State Standards.  But, I can't say for certain.

My district uses the State Standards and our own district standards two of
the guides in our adoption process and has had as many as 3 textbooks on our
adoption list for a course.  (My district's standards were in place before
California's present standards were adopted.) This allows the 9 high schools
in our district some flexibility to meet needs of our students while at the
same time meeting the district and State Standards.

Members of my department do collaborate on lesson plans and share local
assessments.  This level of collaboration, however, is optional.  If you are
talking about district tests and state tests...  We are required to give the
district tests.  We are required to give the SAT9 and California's augmented
tests.  We are required, by law, to offer the California Golden State Exam.
We will eventually be required to give the State's High School Exit Exam.

Hope this helps.

-Jeanne, for the T2T service

Visit Teacher2Teacher again at http://mathforum.com/t2t/

Post a public discussion message