Q&A #577

Using graphing manipulatives

View entire discussion
[<<prev] [next>>]

From: Marielouise (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Sep 17, 1998 at 23:18:19
Subject: Re: Using graphing manipulatives

This idea is stretching the idea of a graph. Are you familiar with a Mira?
This is a red colored piece of plastic which is used to reflect. Hence, if
you know that a function is even, you can reflect it in the y-axis to see the
entire graph. Or, if you know that a function is odd, you can reflect it in
both the x and y axes to see the full graph.

I realize that this is only ONE idea but I hope that it helps. I also suggest
that you look through catalogs in order to see what kinds of activities are
available. If you can visit a teaching service center or store, you can look
through books. A website to visit is the Eisenhower National Clearinghouse
located at http://www.enc.org

You might also want to check the William Paterson College Institute for
Technology in Mathematics website for sample lesson plans using The
Geometer's Sketchpad software, graphing calculators, etc.

This place might have other ideas for you. I think that this is a challenging

-Marielouise, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®