From: Marielouise (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Sep 17, 1998 at 23:18:19
Subject: Re: Using graphing manipulatives

This idea is stretching the idea of a graph. Are you familiar with a Mira?
This is a red colored piece of plastic which is used to reflect. Hence, if
you know that a function is even, you can reflect it in the y-axis to see the
entire graph. Or, if you know that a function is odd, you can reflect it in
both the x and y axes to see the full graph.

I realize that this is only ONE idea but I hope that it helps. I also suggest
that you look through catalogs in order to see what kinds of activities are
available. If you can visit a teaching service center or store, you can look
through books. A website to visit is the Eisenhower National Clearinghouse
located at http://www.enc.org

You might also want to check the William Paterson College Institute for
Technology in Mathematics website for sample lesson plans using The
Geometer's Sketchpad software, graphing calculators, etc.

 http://www.wilpaterson.edu/wpcpages/icip/itm/ITMWelco.html

This place might have other ideas for you. I think that this is a challenging
question.

-Marielouise, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/