Q&A #577

Using graphing manipulatives

View entire discussion

From: Claudia (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Sep 22, 1998 at 20:56:10
Subject: Re: Using graphing manipulatives

If you are talking one dimension, you can have your students form a number line and have them physically connect arms to show shading of lines for inequalities. For two dimensions, have the students start with an ordered pair on the x- axis. Then ask each student to add two to his/her number and walk that many steps. Ask them what they formed? Why? Who did not move, if anybody? Why? You can continue with all sorts of different versions of this one. This one requires a nice large area, usually outside or, it works well in the bleachers! Assign each person in the class an ordered pair, to represent the x-y plane. (roughly speaking) Then ask things like, if your x-coordinate is less than 3 stand up. Which y coordinate is double your x? I also teach absolute value using a human number line. Consider the abs(x-3) (=,<,>) 5. The math verb (=,<,>) does not make any difference. Usually, absolute value is defined as the distance of a number from zero. Where is the "from zero" part? Inside the abs(), x-3 in this case. If I set x-3 = 0, what will x be? This becomes my new zero. I place a student at three on the number line. Then I walk a distance of 5 to the right and ask the student what his/ her number is? Hopefully, the reply will be 8. I then return to 3 and walk left 5. The student should identify the number as -2. Then I ask suppose the statement was =, what would my answer be? What if I walked < 5? Where would that be? -Claudia, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®